By: Janette Mason CNP
Almost 70% of adults take a multivitamin every day1. Of that, how many people pay special attention to what is in the bottle? Multi’s have been touted as an all-around “insurance policy” so it might surprise you that not all multivitamins are alike. In fact, shopping for a real insurance policy might mirror that of shopping for a multivitamin, such as an individual needs, age, and lifestyle factors.
Almost 70% of adults take a multivitamin every day1. Of that, how many people pay special attention to what is in the bottle? Multi’s have been touted as an all-around “insurance policy” so it might surprise you that not all multivitamins are alike. In fact, shopping for a real insurance policy might mirror that of shopping for a multi. Individual needs, age, and lifestyle factors must all be accounted for.
There are questions about whether someone should really be taking a multivitamin. We, however, know that even if someone is eating well and choosing a balanced diet whenever possible, it can still be tough to get the minimum requirements of vitamins and minerals into your daily diet. The reason for this is complex, but mostly comes down to the sourcing of our plant foods2 (nutrients begin to reduce in value after picking), the soil in which it was grown in3, and our digestion4 (how we absorb and assimilate nutrients).
Some cases arise when speaking to a customer and they tell you they have been taking a multivitamin for quite some time, but do not feel any different. In this case, we would want to take a closer look at the multivitamin formula they have been taking. Age, lifestyle, and sex are all determinants to our unique needs. If someone is taking a general one-size-fits-all formula, it may be that they are missing key nutrients for their specific body.
Changing Nutrient Needs Through the Life Cycle:
|Life Stage||Change in Nutrient Needs|
|Pregnancy*||Increased requirements: energy, protein, essential fatty acids, vitamin A, vitamin C, B-vitamins (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, folate, choline) & calcium, phosphorus,** magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, copper, chromium, selenium, iodine, manganese, molybdenum|
|Lactation*||Increased requirements: vitamins A, C, E, all B-vitamins, sodium, magnesium** Decreased requirements: iron|
|Infancy, childhood*||Increased requirements: energy, protein, essential fatty acids|
|Adolescence*||Increased requirements: energy, protein, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, zinc (females only)|
|Early adulthood (ages 19-50)||Increased requirements for males, compared with females: vitamins C, K; B1, B2, B3, and choline; magnesium, zinc, chromium, manganese Increased requirements for females, compared with males: iron|
|Middle age (ages 51-70)*||Increased requirements: vitamin B6, vitamin D|
|Elderly (age 70+)*||Increased requirements: vitamin D |
Decreased requirements: energy; iron (females only)
* Relative to adult requirements for those 19-50 years of age (and on a per-kg basis for macronutrients).
** Applies only to individuals under age 18.
Chart sourced from: PCRM’s Nutrition Guide for Clinicians5
Jamieson Wellness believes in a tailored approach to health and wellness, which is why you will find multivitamins curated for specific age groups, sex, and lifestyle. We’ve taken the idea of a multivitamin and formulated a line that will be able to meet the unique health needs of our customers.
Some key formulations include:
Multi Vitamin for Men and Multi Vitamin for Women by Progressive6,7 – available in capsules or chewable tablets.
Men and women are physiologically different. As a result, so are the nutrients we require. The Progressive Adult Men’s & Women’s formulas take these differences into account. Specific ratios of vitamins, minerals and herbal extracts are incorporated into each formula to meet the unique requirements.
Multi Vitamin for Kids by Progressive8 – available in a delicious orange chewable tablet.
While children are growing and maturing, the nutrients they consume play a critical role in ensuring not only robust health, but also their proper development both physically and mentally. Progressive Multivitamins for Kids offers a comprehensive strategy for supporting the unique nutritional needs of active children.
Platinum Multi for 65+ by Jamieson9 – available in mini caplets
Jamieson Platinum Multivitamin has been specially formulated to meet the needs of individuals 65 years old and better! The easy-
At Jamieson Wellness, we offer a broad range of multi vitamins to be a great foundation for kids, busy parents, athletes, older and wiser, and you.
- D. J. Favell. A comparison of the vitamin C content of fresh and frozen vegetables. Unilever Research, Colworth Laboratory, Sharnbrook, Bedford, UK, accessed at: http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/datastore/608-97.pdf
- Thomas D. A study on the mineral depletion of the foods available to us as a nation over the period 1940 to 1991. Nutr Health 2003; 17(2): 85-115
- Goodman B. E. (2010). Insights into digestion and absorption of major nutrients in humans. Advances in physiology education, 34(2), 44–53. https://doi.org/10.1152/advan.00094.2009
- Nutritional Requirements throughout the Life Cycle: Nutrition Guide for Clinicians. Nutritional Requirements throughout the Life Cycle | Nutrition Guide for Clinicians. (n.d.). https://nutritionguide.pcrm.org/nutritionguide/view/Nutrition_Guide_for_Clinicians/1342043/all/Nutritional_Requirements_throughout_the_Life_Cycle.
- Health Canada. Natural Health Product Number: 80036573 Accessed on: 06/17/2021 Accessed At: https://health-products.canada.ca/lnhpd-bdpsnh/info.do?licence=80036573
- Health Canada. Natural Health Product Number: 80038008 Accessed on: 06/17/2021 Accessed at: https://health-products.canada.ca/lnhpd-bdpsnh/info.do?licence=80038008
- Health Canada. Natural Health Product Number: 80022343. Accessed on: 06/17/2021. Accessed at: https://health-products.canada.ca/lnhpd-bdpsnh/info.do?licence=80022343
- Health Canada. Natural Health Product Number: 80079485 Accessed on: 06/17/2021. Accessed at: https://health-products.canada.ca/lnhpd-bdpsnh/info.do?licence=80079485